Differently-abled diner says she was turned away from restaurant in Gurgaon: ‘I was told that wheelchair andar nahi jayegi’

How welcoming are NCR’s restaurants to the differently-abled and how many are wheelchair-accessible? A recent series of posts by Twitter user Srishti Pandey (@Srishhhh_tea) has once again opened up this topic for debate. In her tweets, Srishti alleged that she was refused a table inside a Gurgaon restaurant when she went out recently with her friends.
She wrote, “I went to my @raastagurgaon with my best friend and her fam last night. This was one of my first outings in so long and I wanted to have fun. Bhaiya (my friend’s elder brother) asked for a table for four. The staff at the desk ignored him twice. The third time he asked, the staff replied with “wheelchair andar nahi jayegi” (The wheelchair can’t go inside). We thought it was an accessibility issue, but it wasn’t. We told him that we’d manage, just book us a table. What he said next left all of shocked for a while. He told us pointing towards me that “andar customers disturb hojaynge” (The customers will get disturbed) and denied us entry, with so much of ease. This came from the staff of a freaking fancy place (sic).”

4
5

She further wrote that after a lot of arguing, she was offered a table outdoors. “The outside seating was ridiculous. It was getting cold. And I can’t sit out in cold for long because my body gets spastic. It’s literally unsafe for me? Why should I be made to sit outside anyway? segregated from everyone else? If we wanted an outside seating we would have asked for it? Eventually we were asked to leave. Obviously. But is me just existing that much of a disturbance for you? Why do I always have to fight for the smallest of things? Why was I DENIED entry in a public place? Who are they to deny my entry just like that? Should I stop going out at all only then? Because apparently I don’t belong with others. Because I’m a “disturbance” for others. Because their moods apparently get “ruined” after looking at me. I am heartbroken. Awfully sad. And I feel disgusted. (sic)”
Replying to the tweets, the owner of the restaurant, Goumtesh Singh, wrote, “I am personally looking into this incident. Let me start by apologising on behalf of entire team Raasta for any bad experience that you may have had. Please rest assured if any of our members is found in the wrong, appropriate action will be taken against them.(sic)”

1

The restaurant has been receiving backlash online with many sharing Srishti’s tweets. Actress Pooja Bhatt also commented on the incident and wrote on Twitter, “Am terribly saddened that this happened to you. We suffer from an absolute lack of grace as a society. Wheelchair accessibility is one thing but refusing to see a human being who is confined to one as an equal and deserving of dignity is quite another (sic).”

2

When we contacted him, Goumtesh told us, “I am trying to get to the bottom of this and we have asked the manager to go on temporary leave. I sincerely apologise for what happened and I have been trying to get in touch with Srishti and apologise.”
The apology was also issued by the restaurant owner, it stated, “We are deeply regretful of the episode that took place at Raasta Gurgaon on Friday evening. We stand for inclusivity and would never want anyone to feel singled out for any reason. As a part of our efforts we have already reached out to the aggrieved patron to personally apologise to them. We are also taking steps internally to heighten sensitivity and empathy for our staff to ensure this never happens again.”
Credit Source – https://ift.tt/SGbCR9f

The post Differently-abled diner says she was turned away from restaurant in Gurgaon: ‘I was told that wheelchair andar nahi jayegi’ appeared first on Stay in Gurgaon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flat sale of flu drugs hints at no unusual rise in infections

10YearsForSimha: Reasons behind film’s success

Hrithik-Saif’s Vikram Vedha hits a roadblock