Haryana: Ambala woman rides horse, takes her own baraat to groom’s house

AMBALA: Against the followed custom in Indian marriages, a woman in Haryana’s Ambala took the baraat (marriage procession) while riding a horse with a sword in her hand, to the house of the groom to marry him on Tuesday.
The bride, Priya, a lawyer of Baldev Nagar in Ambala city, was accompanied and supported by her parents, brothers, and relatives, who carried out the procession to the groom’s house in the same way as a groom does in Indian marriages as per traditions.
Talking to the media before her wedding, Priya said, “I am extremely happy for my ghurhcharhi (ride on a horse). This day perhaps never comes in the life of women as mostly, this custom is performed by men. But in my home, my parents have always treated me as a boy.”
Priya said her parents allowed her to pursue studies in law even when her relatives were against it. “My father stood by my side and motivated me to study law and become a lawyer or even a judge. I never felt that my brother was given more priority against me”, said Priya.
Priya’s father Narendra Aggarwal said that he wants to give a message that there should be no discrimination among girls and boys and that he wants to break the myth that boys are superior to girls.
“I always treated my daughter as a son. We did ghurhcharhi of our daughter to give a message to the society against female foeticide and that girls should get due respect, equal to boys. It is a myth in the society that girls do not excel in life. If her parents support, then she can reach the topmost levels,” said Narendra.
Narendra said that his elder family members were surprised to see that he had distributed sweets when Priya, a daughter, had taken birth at his home.
Credit Source – https://ift.tt/aZ19t8C

The post Haryana: Ambala woman rides horse, takes her own baraat to groom’s house appeared first on Stay in Gurgaon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flat sale of flu drugs hints at no unusual rise in infections

10YearsForSimha: Reasons behind film’s success

Hrithik-Saif’s Vikram Vedha hits a roadblock