Dhanush: There’s no bigger high than success

With the kind of reception I have received for the trailer of ‘Atrangi Re’, I have made a mental note that I should do more films in Bollywood – Dhanush
Actor, director, producer, writer, lyricist and singer, Dhanush wears many hats. Self-admittedly a reluctant actor, the National Award-winning South star does not only have many powerful performances to his credit but has also charted new territories like Bollywood and Hollywood. The actor, who will be seen in ‘Atrangi Re’, talks to Bombay Times about his return to Bollywood after six years, blind faith in Aanand L Rai and the blurring of lines between Indian film industries. Excerpts…

After the success of ‘Raanjhanaa’ (2013), one expected you to take up more Bollywood projects. With ‘Atrangi Re’, you are returning six years after your last Hindi film outing, ‘Shamitabh’ (2015). What kept you away from Hindi cinema?

Nothing kept me away from Hindi cinema as such. I do a lot of films in the South, so everything should fall into place – meeting the right filmmaker with the right script and having the dates available to allot to that project. Having said that, with the kind of reception I have received for the trailer of ‘Atrangi Re’, I have made a mental note that I should do more films in Bollywood. So, I think you will be seeing more of me here.
As an actor, you are known to veer towards unconventional stories like ‘Shamitabh’. Is that a factor for you to take up Atrangi Re? Or is it the Anand L Rai factor?
It’s just the Aanand L Rai and Himanshu Sharma (writer) factor. Those two names are good enough for me not to even listen to the script and agree to be a part of it blindly. That’s the kind of faith I have in them. Once Himanshu narrated the script to me, I understood why they wanted me in this film. It’s a beautiful story. I know when Aanand L Rai wants to say something in a specific way, he will cast me in his film. He wanted me for ‘Atrangi Re’ and I am happy to be a part of it. He had a lot of faith in me even when nobody knew about me here. He roped me in for ‘Raanjhanaa’ and was adamant about casting only me from the South for the film. He had almost every actor’s dates then. That’s the level of conviction he has in his stories and himself. It’s amazing how he does that. I am happy that I could be a part of this journey.

You are also a producer and director. Do Aanand L Rai’s cinematic sensibilities and approach resonate with you?

Absolutely! If there is a bigger and better word for brother, I would use that for him. We are family. We love each other. I call his wife, bhabhi. However, we make sure that part is not involved in the professional aspect. Work is a different ball game altogether. That’s why we have a healthy relationship.

Dhanush and Sara Ali Khan in a still from 'Atrangi Re'

You are an actor, producer, director, writer, lyricist and singer. How do you pack in so much in the time that you have?

I don’t think I do any of this properly. I have a lot of interest in all these things and I try to do a bit of everything. Some have worked brilliantly, while others may not have. It’s all about how passionate you are about your craft. I am very passionate about art and give it my best.

In an interview, you mentioned that you were a reluctant actor in the beginning. Has the scenario changed since? What are you more passionate about among the many hats you wear?

Writing and directing a film is what I enjoy the most. I took acting seriously after I met Balu Mahendra sir (he directed ‘Sadma’ in 1983 and also Dhanush in ‘Adhu Oru Kana Kaalam’ in 2015). He made a difference for me. I must have been 19 when I met him and had a heart-to-heart conversation. He made me understand that I had something in me which I don’t see myself. When something like that comes from somebody like Balu Mahendra sir, you tend to take it seriously and ponder over what he is saying. I started working hard on myself after that and have started enjoying the process in the last 10 years.

Since you love direction more, does it get challenging to suppress that aspect of your personality when you are being directed by someone else?

It’s not that challenging, I just have to shut up. It’s easy to do that when you enjoy your work. It’s like a kid playing a video game – he plays different games and he enjoys all of them. For him, a game is a game. I enjoy everything about this art, so for me, it’s like playing a video game. I don’t ever get tired of it.

Lines are blurring between cinemas like never before. We see a healthy exchange between Bollywood and regional cinemas. Many South Indian actors have made a smooth transition to Hindi cinema and Bollywood stars are also featuring in South films. How do you look at this creative exchange?

As you said, it’s a healthy exchange and a welcome change. The lines are indeed blurring. I wish it had happened 30-40 years ago, as so many brilliant gems of talent from South and North would have been known in each other’s regions. Nevertheless, it’s great that it’s happening, but it hasn’t happened overnight. I am happy that talents from across the country are being recognised everywhere now.

Not just actors, even regional content is enjoying a much larger audience today…

I don’t think it’s a recent phenomenon. Good content, be it from the South or the North, has always been appreciated. We were just not aware of it. Today, we have exposure. If a Tamil film has done amazingly well and is critically acclaimed, there is a platform for all of us to watch it. The same goes for Bollywood. The world has shrunk. Earlier, nobody would know if a Hindi film was remade in the South or vice versa. That’s not the case anymore.

READ ALSO:

Credit Source – https://ift.tt/3yPhtRY

The post Dhanush: There’s no bigger high than success appeared first on Stay in Gurgaon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flat sale of flu drugs hints at no unusual rise in infections

10YearsForSimha: Reasons behind film’s success

Hrithik-Saif’s Vikram Vedha hits a roadblock