Jersey: Shahid-Mrunal talk about exes, slap & more

What did Mrunal Thakur feel when she had to slap Shahid Kapoor in ‘Jersey’? Did these two actors discuss their exes with each other? Which is Shahid’s most embarrassing moment on set? What was Mira Rajput’s reaction when the Jersey trailer broke out?
We caught up with Shahid and Mrunal, last evening, at a Juhu 5-star and the ‘Jersey’ lead actors were in a candid, playful mood. Both seem very confident about the film. The trailer has drawn a very good response. We spoke to them about a lot of things, including the ones mentioned above. ‘Jersey’ is produced by Aman Gill, Dil Raju and S Naga Vamsi and directed by Gowtam Tinnanuri; it releases on December 31.

Watch our exclusive interview with Shahid Kapoor and Mrunal Thakur right here:

[embedded content]


Here are the excerpts from the conversation:

Mrunal, let’s ask you straight up. How did you feel when you had to slap Shahid in ‘Jersey’?
I was very scared. I didn’t want to sc*ew up his performance. I was tense about kahin jyada na lag jaye (I shouldn’t overdo the output). But Shahid helped me in that scene a lot, by egging me on, ‘Maar mujhe, tu maar mujhe’.

Shahid, did you model your character in ‘Jersey’ on any cricketer?
I have seen a lot of cricket as I am a huge cricket buff. You cannot be as good as a professional cricketer playing at international level, you can’t get there. The idea was just to get the personality of a cricketer in my character. The story of ‘Jersey’ is being told with a lot of emotion. That’s why the people would like to see this film, else they would like to see a match. The film is an in-depth drama which gives you an understanding of what can go on inside a sportsperson.

Shahid, doesn’t it get to you sometimes? Your last few films have had you playing very intense roles – ‘Kaminey’, ‘Udta Punjab’, ‘Haider’, ‘Kabir Singh’. Easy to come out from them?


I have seen a lot of actors saying ‘mujhe char mahine lag gaye, paanch mahine lag gaye’ (it took me 4/5 months to switch off from that role). I find that quite dramatic. Yes, a part of me is always thinking of the character but it doesn’t change me or get into me so much. There may be a few minor changes.

Mrunal, it’s a male-dominated industry. We see that big heroes are now ready to work with you…
I am going with the flow. Earlier, I thought I was surviving. Now, I am living my life. It feels great to hear at times now that they couldn’t think of anyone else in a particular role except me. I want to be known as a versatile actor and I am working hard towards it.

But Mrunal, was there a time when you were asked to look a certain way (as a quintessential Bollywood heroine) and you were not comfortable…
There are two things here. Building up abs, wearing lehengas and dancing is one thing. But when it comes to me, I can’t pretend to be what I am not. I chose roles that are relatable; I want to convince my audience.

Shahid and Mrunal, your banter discussing exes on social media was noted. Have you become such thick friends that you’ll share a lot with each other?
Shahid:
We are so thick as friends that we share stuff on social media (laughs). (On a serious note), my definition of close friendship wouldn’t be sharing stuff on social media.

Mrunal: I love the way Shahid prepares for the character. His brother Ishaan (Khatter) is very much like him. It is very rare to have friends in Bollywood and Shahid has always told me what is right and what is wrong.

Mrunal, any regrets that you didn’t do ‘Thugs of Hindostan’?
None. I have no regrets in life. I was only auditioning for it and I didn’t get it. I believe that roles choose an actor and not vice versa, per se.

Shahid, what was Mira’s reaction when the ‘Jersey’ trailer broke out?
She had seen it before (prior to its landing online). At this stage of my career, I see many versions of things before they are approved. She loved it. She was very happy about it.

Mrunal: She is proud of it.

Shahid, your father Pankaj Kapur who’s also in ‘Jersey’ is a phenomenal actor. Were there times when he said that a particular scene or two can be done differently?
Yes, he is a phenomenal actor. We have even had our share of disagreements. You see, movie making is a collaborative effort. Filmmaking can’t be a single dimension. It’s not about what one person wants. My father is a very clear actor and has a lot of thoughts. Being his son, it’s ditto for me. It was great to have all that. We both were very respectful of each other’s opinion. I think it’s actors who are not self-assured of themselves, who get stuck into doing it only one way; they overthink things.

Mrunal: The best thing about Pankaj sir is that he brings a lot on the table; he performs one scene and says one dialogue in more than one way.

5 quick questions for you, Mrunal:


Mrunal wants to sign a film with THIS male actor ASAP…
Keanu Reeves.

Shahid’s best performance till date?
‘Haider’.

Have you watched a cricket match in a stadium?
Of course. And that’s when I had even bought a jersey. And, I realised how expensive it is (laughs).

Your favourite cricketer?
Virat Kohli, Sachin Tendulkar and I like Malinga too for his long, curly hair.

Would you go bald in a film opposite Shahid? No wigs allowed…
Yes, surely. I just hope I’m not slapping again (smiles).

Shahid: Maybe your hair will get even better if you go bald. I went bald for ‘Haider and maybe that worked for me; I have hair at 40.

5 quick questions for you, Shahid:


The Amitabh Bachchan role that you would give your right arm for?
Never mess with the greatest, just watch.

Your most embarrassing moment on any set?
Bahut hote hain. Kabhi pant phat jaati hai dance karte waqt, kabhi dialogue bahut ganda bol dete hain (Many things happen- sometimes the pant tears off while dancing, sometimes you don’t say the dialogue good enough). In ‘Jersey’, I found it embarrassing to run with the batting pads on.

Mrunal’s best performance till date?
I would say ‘Jersey’. I loved her acting in ‘Toofan’ too. There’s something very likable about her on camera. The more she relaxes, the better she is.

Do you believe that exes can be friends?
Yes, exes can be friends. Why not? But sometimes, it’s even okay if you decide to move on.

Is it right to have different captains for red ball cricket and white ball cricket?
I think that’s for the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) to decide. But hmmm…, there are pros and cons to both. But, I guess it should be what works best for the team in question.

Credit Source – https://ift.tt/3FwX9HD

The post Jersey: Shahid-Mrunal talk about exes, slap & more appeared first on Stay in Gurgaon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flat sale of flu drugs hints at no unusual rise in infections

10YearsForSimha: Reasons behind film’s success

Hrithik-Saif’s Vikram Vedha hits a roadblock